Northern Opportunities for Business Limited (NOBL) was formed in 1986 as Pictou County Business Opportunities Limited. Our mandate was set at that time and continues today and includes:
- To actively promote, encourage, and assist economic development in our geographic area;
- To encourage the concept of small business development as a method of creating local employment opportunities;
- To encourage employment diversity and stability in the community through self-employment, individual ownership, partnerships, corporations, co-operatives, worker collectives, non-profit organizations, job sharing, part and full-time work or any other appropriate structure;
- To administer funding received from government and private sources from which the Company will provide direct financial assistance to selected business projects in our geographic area, in a manner and under terms as may be established from time to time; and,
- To co-operate with all existing private and public agencies with similar objects in an effort to provide solutions to community problems and to avoid duplication of services.
That's a perhaps rather long way of saying that we are a government sponsored business development corporation. Operating since the beginning of 1997 in the three Counties of Antigonish, Pictou, and Colchester, we are run by a volunteer Board of Directors supported by three Investment Committees (one for each County) and a six-member professional Staffing complement.
CBDC/NOBL has many partners in the business support arena. We share many clients with ACOA and Service Canada. We work with the RDA's and Nova Scotia Business Inc. to find potential entrepreneurs as well as businesses looking for financial assistance. And we have recently signed an agreement with the Business Development Bank of Canada which gives our joint clients more speedy turnaround on their financing decisions.
We see ourselves as the deliverer of all government small business development financing programs and as such have a bailiwick of options for people interested in getting into business, expanding their current business, or modernizing their current business.
NOBL - Board Accountability
The stakeholders of CBDC NOBL include:
- The general public
- The local community served by CBDC NOBL, namely Antigonish, Pictou, and Colchester Counties of Nova Scotia
- CBDC NOBL clients
- CBDC NOBL employees and volunteer
The Board of Directors of CBDC NOBL is accountable to these stakeholders. In an effort to be accountable to the people we serve, and to ensure our governance processes are transparent, this Statement will be publicly available, primarily by publication on our website.
In carrying out its role and responsibilities, the Board of Directors of CBDC NOBL will adhere to the following values:
The training I have received from the NOBL programs have helped me become a better business person, team leader and employer. The training helped me immediately in my business and I recommend it strongly for any business person who is looking to improve and succeed both professionally and personally. The teachers are well prepared, the course material is relevant, and if you are interested in learning, this is a great opportunity to do just that. - Jenny Acres